Kale is my #1 green. (Don't get it twisted; my #1 lettuce is arugula) I know it's nuts but sometimes I need a break from all the cold weather soups and this salad does the trick. The kale is hearty and the lemon-tahini dressing is the perfect zip up against all the savory + rich winter dishes.
- 1 bunch of lacinato kale, cleaned, de-stemmed and sliced chiffonade
- 1/2 pear, sliced matchstick (here I used a red Bartlett pear)
- zest from 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 c. dried cherries
- 2 T pinenuts
- 2 oz. shaved pecorino romano
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 T. tahini
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of red chili flake
- 1 T. maple syrup
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- For dressing, whisk together everything but the olive oil. Once combined, whisk in the olive oil.
- Toss kale with dressing, being sure to coat well. Don't be afraid to use your hands!
- Add the rest of the salad ingredients and toss. Serve chilled or room temp.
Don't get hung up on the specifics; sub the pear for an apple or the pine nuts for pistachios. Pecorino is a bit support but parm works in a pinch. No lacinato kale? Regular is fine too and just as delicious.